search this site only


How to File a Complaint

The Office of Public Utility Counsel (OPUC) represents residential and small business electric, telephone and water consumers in utility matters that come before the Public Utility Commission (PUC), the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and in state and federal courts to ensure that just and reasonable rates and reliable and capable services are available to them in an increasingly competitive environment. OPUC does not, however, generally represent individual customers or provide individual legal advice. OPUC does provide information and assistance and directs individuals to the appropriate agency when necessary. The PUC and TCEQ are the regulating state agencies responsible for handling utility complaints.

If you have a problem with a retail utility, you should first make the utility aware of your complaint and give them an opportunity to address your concerns. If you are not satisfied with the utility’s decision, you should file a complaint with the proper regulatory agency.


Electric Complaints

texas public utility commission logo




If your electric utility is city owned, you can contact your city manager, city council representative or mayor to assist you. Electric cooperative customers should contact their co-op for more information.

You can call the Consumer Protection Division of the PUC at:

1-888-782-8477 or
in Austin 512-936-7120 (TTY 1-800-735-2988) or

Go to the PUC’s website and file a complaint online at:

Or by fax: 512-936-7003

Or by mail to:

PUC - Customer Protection
P.O. Box 13326
Austin, TX 78711-3326

The complaint should include the following information:

There is no time limit on filing a complaint, but be sure to do it as soon as possible, with all available documentation. The longer you wait, the more difficult it could be to resolve the problem.

If your problem is still unresolved after you have filed a complaint with your utility and the PUC or you have additional questions, you may contact OPUC:

By phone: 512-936-7500

By Fax: 512-936-7525

By e-mail:

All complaints should include the exact same information required by the PUC Customer Protections Division.


Water Utility Complaints

texas commission on environmental quality logo




If you have complaints or inquiries concerning water quality, rates, service or billing, you can contact your water supplier directly or call the TCEQ Consumer Assistance Hot Line at 512-239-6100.

You may also e-mail complaints to the TCEQ at:


You may write to the TCEQ:

P.O. Box 13087
Austin, TX 78711-3087


Gas Service Complaints

texas railroad commission logo





Gas utility service is regulated by the Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC). Complaints about your gas service should be directed to the RRC.


Office of Public Assistance (toll-free): 1-877-228-5740

You may write to the RRC:

Railroad Commission of Texas
P.O. Box 12967
Austin, Texas 78711-2967


Other Service Complaints

The state does NOT regulate all or most aspects of the following utilities and services: